Sunday, July 5, 2009

Project News: DOCTOR WHO

For those of you who have been wondering about the secret project I've been talking about for the last few months, I'm very excited to be able to finally tell you that I've been drawing a four-part story in IDW Publishing's new DOCTOR WHO ongoing series.

As anyone who knows me or has read any of my blog entries is surely aware, I'm a huge DOCTOR WHO fan, so the assignment is a real thrill for me. And as excited (and a little terrified) as I am to be working with one of my favorite characters, I'm equally excited by the script I've been given. Tony Lee, who wrote the excellent DOCTOR WHO: THE FORGOTTEN is handling all of the writing for the ongoing series, with rotating art teams coming in to draw each story. My story starts with issue 3, which is in this month's Previews, with a September release date.

And the best part? Paul Grist is providing the covers. I'm a big fan of Paul's work so it's a dream come true to work on a project with him doing the covers. I'll be doing a couple of variant covers for the run (the piece above is the variant cover for #3), but I'd rather have the Grist covers.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. When you mentioned space rhinos, i was pretty sure it the good doctor that you were drawing. So very nice. and with Paul Grist covers. Can't beat that. Give me a call sometime, it would be great to catch up.
Larry Shuput

Thomas said...

Congratulations, Matthew !

michael gaydos said...

perfect fit!

matthew dow smith said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm ridiculously excited to be working on it. Still, it's a little terrifying. When you're working on one of your favorite characters, you have a tendency to overthink everything. But hey, now I can write off all of my Doctor Who toys. I've actually been using some of them for reference.

--MDS

ANDY KUHN said...

matt,

that's awesome! i just picked up the Dr Who one shot that grist drew. i'm a paul grist maniac. can't wait for your new mini series.

Amanda said...

That is fantastic! Congrats Matt.

.ray. said...

Again im so happy for you matt.Can't tell you how much Erin loves the DW piece you did for her.Doing your favorite project must be so great.Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.Looking forward to it.

Rowan's Dad said...

Congrats Matt...good to see your awesome talents will be used on another big license.
Mike G
PS Thanks again for the awesome Cap art from Albany this spring...planning on attending this fall's or will the good Doctor be keeping you busy?

Catie said...

That's brilliant, Matt! I can't wait to pick these up! Yay!

matthew dow smith said...

Thanks, for the kind words, everybody. And now that it's public, I'll see if I can post bits and pieces of my work on the project as I go along.

--MDS

Ryan Cody said...

I don't follow the Doc at all, but the promo piece here looks aces. I have to try and maybe get on a coloring gig with you someday.

matthew dow smith said...

I'd be done with that, Ryan. Any day. Still want you to draw one of my stories yourself some day.

--MDS