Saturday, December 18, 2010

On The Nightstand

MYSTERIES OF THE DIOGENES CLUB
by Kim Newman
Monkey Brain Books

It's a working weekend for me, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned the book currently sitting on my nightstand, Kim Newman's MYSTERIES OF THE DIOGENES CLUB. Anyone who knows me know two things about me -- I like Doctor Who and I love Kim Newman's books. This is third collection of Kim's incredible short stories featuring various incarnations of the Diogenes Club.

I first encountered Kim's take on the Diogenes Club in a series of inter-connected stories in Stephen Jones' excellent DARK DETECTIVES anthology, and I've been hooked ever since. Those stories are actually in this collection, which is nice, since I'm a little afraid to touch my DARK DETECTIVES hardcover after getting it signed by both Steve and Kim a few years ago. It holds pride of place in my office, along with my signed HERETICS OF DUNE, SHADOWLAND, and my shelf of random signed F. Paul Wilson novels.

Needless to say, I highly recommend this latest collection, along with the previous Diogenes Club collections, THE MAN FROM THE DIOGENES CLUB, and SECRET FILES OF THE DIOGENES CLUB. These stories hit all the right notes for me, and each time Newman puts out a new collection, I feel a powerful urge to grab people on the street and tell them to go buy a copy.

So, yeah... go buy a copy.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Knowing how much you "like" Dr. Who and seeing the distinction that you "love" Kim Newman books makes me wonder where you've hidden the alter in your house.

matthew dow smith said...

I keep my Kim Newman shrine in the closet of my office, right next to my F. Paul Wilson shrine. Probably should build one for Aaron Sorkin as well, but it's getting a little crowded in there.

--MDS